Make Your Food Shelf-Stable by Combating Food Deterioration Using Oxygen Absorbers
Oxygen absorbers remain a staple product for the preservation of food to reduce food wastage in developed nations and increased food security in the developing nations.
An oxygen absorber works at the available moisture in the packaged food and the trapped air causes the iron in the absorber to turn to rust, which then reduces the presence of oxygen, this process is called “oxidation.” This transition in oxygen content creates a higher concentration of nitrogen, which is better for the long term shelf life of the packaged food item.
Oxygen absorbers are used with baked goods, nuts, coffee, processed food, seasonings, flour, grains, pharmaceuticals, vitamins, pet foods, dehydrated fruits, vegetables, and meats. They bring down the oxygen level to 0 .01% or less.
Products that are low in moisture and the oils are best preserved with the absorbers. Foods should be below 10% moisture content for storing with absorbers. Storing foods with high moisture content in reduced oxygen packaging may result in botulism poisoning. For other foods like wheat, beans, corn, and peas, the oxygen absorbers will not make a difference as these are not oxygen sensitive.
Oxygen absorbers come in sizes varying from 20cc to 3000cc in individual sachets. (The “cc” stands for cubic centimeters as it relates to the amount of oxygen-absorbing capacity). Hence, the smaller the size of the container or volume of the bag, the lower would be the required capacity of the oxygen absorber.
- Extend the shelf life of products
- Prevent oxidation of spice oleoresins present in spices themselves and in seasoned foods
- Prevent food damage from infestation of insects
- Inhibit the growth of aerobic pathogens such as molds, mildew, and bacteria.
- Significantly improve keeping qualities of polyunsaturated fats and oils
- Delay the discoloration in foods
- Eliminate the need for additives such as sulfur dioxide, BHA, BHT, sorbates, etc.
- Foods are not crushed or squeezed
- Prevent oxidation of vitamins A, C, and E
- Help retain the fresh-roasted flavor of coffee and nuts
Sorbead India is the global supplier of oxygen absorbers, its Oxygen Absorbers come in sachets and are supplied to a wide range of customers in the Food Industry.
Excellent quality iron is used to make the high-quality oxygen absorbers and iron quality make it an apt oxygen absorber to be used for food products, it is a necessity to use the food grade iron form to get the safe quality of oxygen absorbers for the avoidance of any type of risk to the packed products.