Five Benefits of Oxygen Absorbers in Food Storage
What is Oxygen Absorbers?
The main use of Oxygen Absorbers is to protect against the decay products, mainly food items. Oxygen Absorbers are small sachets, which are placed alongside the food products to ensure that they do not get spoilt. They absorb the oxygen present in the closed space and leave behind a nitrogen-filled environment, which is useful in extending the shelf life of the product. Oxygen Absorbers usually contain iron powder and sodium chloride, which reacts with the adsorbed oxygen to create iron oxide. When all the oxygen is absorbed, the Oxygen Absorber sachet becomes ‘saturated’ and will stop the intake of oxygen.
- Effectively brings down the oxygen levels– The main use of oxygen absorbers for food is for reducing the levels of oxygen present in packages so that the product can enjoy an extended shelf life. Oxygen Absorbers carry out this function properly as they absorb nearly 90% of the oxygen present in the closed space. Experts are of the opinion that amongst all the technology available today, oxygen absorbers are the best in maintaining optimum oxygen levels.
- Cost-Effective: Another major advantage of using Oxygen Absorbers is that it is highly inexpensive and thus proves cost-effective while transporting food products to faraway places. Cost is an important factor to consider during long-distance transportation and the use of less expensive Oxygen Absorbers is always an advantage.
- Readily Available: Another major advantage of Oxygen Absorbers is that it is easily available in the market and one does not have to search everywhere as to where to purchase it from.
- Non-poisonous ingredients: Oxygen Absorbers are okay to keep with food products as they are not poisonous and only contain iron oxide. Some people felt that when placed alongside food items, sometimes the Oxygen Absorber may react with the former and spoil them.
- Easily Disposable: Last but not least, the main advantage of Oxygen Absorber sachets is that they are environment-friendly and can be disposed of using the regular disposal methods. They do not require any special method for disposal.
Going through these benefits one understands why so many people opt for Oxygen Absorbers during storing and transportation of food products